Happy New Year

 January 1, 2022

We don't always have choices in this life, but when I am presented with one, I try for the optimistic path. Christmas was subdued by Omicron. The comedy show my friends and I looked forward to for months was postponed. The new year dawned dismal and gray. As I assessed the day and my options, one positive note was that the temperature was heading towards 50 degrees. In November I had set myself the challenge of biking every month for a year, and looking at the 10 day forecast, today seemed a perfect temperature to cross January off the list. I decided on a bike ride. After a quick yoga practice to stretch my aching back, I set off for the Mohawk Hudson Bike Trail. I just didn't feel like dodging death by car on this very dark day.

As I geared up at Lions Park, I realized only one jacket was needed and set off to the west toward Lock 7. A hiking trail I spied was calling so I took a short detour and a little hike in the woods. 

A pretty stream tumbling down a rock ledge was the highlight of the trail, so I was soon back to the bike trail. I was a little surprised  by all the wildlife taking advantage of the warm day: beaver, geese, a bald eagle, and of course seagulls.

                                   A new beaver dam and lodge.


This eagle grabbed a fish before flying off.



                          Lock 7 activity on pause.



I turned around and headed back east, thinking an hour on the bike would qualify as my January ride. However, the warmth of the day, the thought that I wouldn't be riding again for awhile, and a dash of gratitude kept me heading east toward the Cohoes Falls. I didn't think I'd go that far, but then, I did!


The twin bridges from the south side of the river.


Reflections


      Even a dismal, gray day has its beauty.

I ended up riding/hiking for three hours and just over 20 miles. Not a bad start to a new year.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Town Visit, There And Back Again

And Life Continues On

A Short But Sweet Visit