Waning Daylight
I’m really starting to notice the shortening of daylight hours. The nights are cooling rather quickly once the sun sets and I have to start considering sunset when I head off on a late afternoon bike ride. I hate to see the end of summer, but there is beauty in all the seasons so I’m not too disappointed.
I picked so many green beans this week, that I had to freeze them. I'm ready to plant a fall crop of lettuce and arugula which seems prudent based on the dubious nature of grocery store produce these days.
My large book club started back up with a “Books I Read This Summer “ discussion. A book report with no pressure and no written report - it was lots of fun. Then Sue Ellen and I went to a ski club happy hour so I could join the club and sign up for a Sharpen Your Skills ski trip in December. I have never taken a skiing lesson in my life. My Dad taught all of his kids to ski even though he had never taken a lesson either! I’m looking forward to learning how it’s supposed to be done.
Now I’m enjoying a coffee on the patio amidst my tomato, basil, and bean plants. I need to make more pesto.
I got a nice bike ride in Tuesday afternoon and we managed to avoid the rain. It only rained for 5 minutes an hour before we went. Janice picked me up and we did a quick 18 miles over in Albany. I gave her two jars of pesto that I made this morning. My basil plants are so big that I'll have to make more tomorrow. I also dug up the last of the potato plants and got about 5 lbs of harvest.
| It seems planting them in a pot produced a bigger yield than ones planted in the ground. They aren’t as pretty but there are more and bigger potatoes. |
I picked so many green beans this week, that I had to freeze them. I'm ready to plant a fall crop of lettuce and arugula which seems prudent based on the dubious nature of grocery store produce these days.
| Garden bounty. |
My large book club started back up with a “Books I Read This Summer “ discussion. A book report with no pressure and no written report - it was lots of fun. Then Sue Ellen and I went to a ski club happy hour so I could join the club and sign up for a Sharpen Your Skills ski trip in December. I have never taken a skiing lesson in my life. My Dad taught all of his kids to ski even though he had never taken a lesson either! I’m looking forward to learning how it’s supposed to be done.
My sister cancelled her plan to visit me this weekend, so I decided to start the day with a solo bike ride. Another gorgeous day on the trail and then a trip to the bike shop to buy a helmet at an end of season sale.
Now I’m enjoying a coffee on the patio amidst my tomato, basil, and bean plants. I need to make more pesto.
| I love looking at my beautiful back yard and planning improvements. Maybe some fruit trees and always more flowers. |
Comments
Post a Comment