October Already
| Pokeweed berry season means fall has truly arrived. |
Three days of constant rain meant I needed to amuse myself inside. The apples my neighbor gave me are now two loaves of apple bread and two jars of applesauce, all headed into the freezer.
| Apple treats for the winter. |
| I was going to make kale chips, but then it was just easier to chop, blanch, and freeze the kale for soups and casseroles in the future. |
It's Tuesday now and I'm going to rant a bit. It was supposed to be a cloudy day and I had a bike ride planned. The forecast apps all confirmed this, but my eyes revealed light rain. I scrapped the ride because it's not much fun to get soaked as the back tire will spray water all over your backside when it's wet. I thought I might be overreacting, but it proceeded to rain all morning and even now at 3pm. I know why the forecasting is sh!t these days - funding has been slashed at the NOAA and the National Weather Service. You need data to forecast properly, not just on the ground, but all the way up into the atmosphere (weather balloons). As a former certified FAA Weather Observer, I can see why the forecasts stink - they are being produced with minimal data. I cannot wait until this regime is ended and science once again is valued.
While cutting back in my garden, I accidentally cut the coneflower a monarch chrysalis was hanging on. So I brought it inside and will wait for it to emerge and send it on its way. I have doubts about its ability to get to Mexico, but I'm not going to keep a pet butterfly in the house.
| A final monarch. |
So now we're into a third day of wet and dismal weather and my mood matched that. I found a few dry moments to empty my tomato planters, compost the plants and put all the cages and pots away until next spring. Seed collection continues and some food processing as well. My freezer is full and has hardly any room left.
| The woods were dark and mysterious in all the rain. |
My last two walks have happened with the aid of my umbrella, and I'm glad to get out into nature as it always cheers me up. Yesterday's walk ended in the dark because I put off the walk until after dinner. I stopped down at the lake and enjoyed chatting with a grandma and her two grandkids fishing on the dock. The older one caught a perch and his excitement was such a joy to see. I pointed out a big bass swimming by, and I left them determined to catch it!
| The fishing group at the town beach. |
Finally a day of no rain, just a dismal grey start. I got some errands done, then set off on a solo bike ride. The air smelled of fall and petrichor from all the rain, and the bugs were out taking advantage of the sun when it finally made a late day appearance.
| Bug along the bike trail. |
My sister arrived for a short visit and to volunteer up in Lake Placid at the Whoop! mountain biking event. We took a nice 4 mile hike not too far from home to get some forest air and stretch our legs.
| On the Cascade Trail at the Tech Park. |
| The crowds, the music, and the announcer caused an upbeat and exciting atmosphere! |
| While being shown to our work stations, we got a close up view of the skilled women racers. |
| The men's race started off colorful, but by the last lap they were all a shade of mud from head to toe. |
| We were done by 2 pm and decided to drive into the village. We stopped into their historical museum in the old train station/Post Office. I liked the ski club sign the best. |
I finally got rid of my older car which went to my friend's son who lives in Boston. I hope he has the same good luck with it that I had. I'm back to one car which is a big relief - I have a one car garage and driveway and I was so tired of moving cars around.
I had the ingredients to make that viral tomato and feta cheese pasta bake, so that was dinner. It was fantastic. I used up four cups of cherry tomatoes which my plants are still producing. I bought a pound of feta on sale, but discovered that I don't like it in my salads. But baked with the tomatoes, it made the creamiest savory sauce, so now I have LOTS of pasta to work through.
![]() |
| 📷: Delish's recipe photo |
True fall weather has begun, meaning the windows are closed in order to avoid turning on the furnace just yet. Hopefully I'll get a few friends together for a chilly (50 degrees) bike ride tomorrow. Otherwise I'll be in the garden, chopping and dropping, and harvesting a few things too!

I concur with you on the dangers of the lack of respect and funding for science--in weather and in medicine, it is life threatening! You've accomplished so much in spite of the not-so-great weather! A muddy bike race wouldn't be to my taste. :) I've made that dish several times, both with only feta and a mix of feta and mozzarella. It's also very customizable for noodle preference. And SO easy!
ReplyDeleteI hate to waste food and that recipe was perfect to use up a glut of tomatoes and the extra feta. I do like to keep busy!
ReplyDelete