More Walking And Family Matters
Sunday - The last warm day (50's!) before more normal temps appeared, so I texted a friend about her trip to Costa Rica and we made a plan to walk so I could hear all about it. Cost Rica sounds so nice - Covid cancelled a trip there in April 2020 and I just never made a plan to go. I did manage nine miles walking today and started logging my distances - I do love data.
![]() |
| The water power plant at the end of the Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve on the Mohawk River. |
Monday - I made a tough financial decision this morning which will cost me dearly, but almost immediately I felt my stress and anxiety start to abate. Sometimes peace of mind is much more valuable than money.
Then I looked at my eye and noticed it looking worse after 3 days of antibiotics. A trip to the Opthamologist - a new one as mine retired last year. He gave me a few tips but said all was fine with my eyes and did my annual eye tests so I guess that is one more thing off the To Do List. I'm pleasantly surprised by the ease of making same day appointments with three different Drs. in the past week. In the past you had to be in really bad shape to do that, but they seem to have opened up the process. Actually my primary care provider just opened a "Same Day Clinic" to handle impromptu medical needs. It's quite a nice change, though I'm sure they are well compensated by Insurance Companies (us).
I went on a short walk afterwards, because that is what I do now - at least until biking season.
Tuesday - I found a pheasant feather on my walk today. It was so pretty I stuck it in the plant that was delivered yesterday from my Ex's Ex?, my fellow Ex?, my friend! Other than that I'm happy to have a day in which I do not get in my car. Not a lot is being accomplished, but I am in a much better state of mind.
![]() |
| I only once saw a live pheasant in my yard about 15 years ago. I guess another one passed by. |
![]() |
| The feather adds a nice touch. |
I did organize a summer outing with about 10 friends. I noticed that Train and REO SpeedWagon are playing at Saratoga in July so we bought tickets and we'll all meet for a picnic, then the concert afterwards. I am not usually an event organizer, but I'm taking on the responsibility for my own activities instead of just relying on others to invite me. I'm definitely getting more confident about it even though it's out of my comfort zone. The possibility that everyone will say 'no thanks' is terrifying to me. I set up the No Gravity event last week as well, and that turned out beautifully - I'm still learning even at this age.
Wednesday - What an unsettling day this was, and for no apparent reason. I did make use of the elliptical machine as it was so cold and windy today.
![]() |
| I just harvested this morning, so it's a little thinned out. Spinach, kohlrabi, arugula, beet greens. There are a few little lettuces, but they don't seem to do well in this kind of set up. |
The salad garden is almost up to full production. I can get a salad per day of baby greens as long as I add cucumbers/tomato/peppers to it. I probably haven't recouped my costs yet, but it makes me happy to tend a garden and have no recall worries over listeria or E.coli. As you can see, not a flake of snow on the ground, just grey bleakness. I'm looking forward to Mexico more than ever.
Thursday - Saratoga Spa State Park was the site of today's walk with Amyjean. Our cross country ski meetup was cancelled due to lack of snow, so we decided a walk would be a good plan B.
| Admiring one of the mineral deposit mounds in the park. I just traversed the ice covered section of the path and thought I might end up taking an inadvertent dip in the stream. |
![]() |
| An inspiring piece of art. |
When we left the Pub, it was snowing hard so I endured an hour long ride through driving snow on slippery highways.
Friday - I drove to Corning as this was the weekend of gathering at Mom's to collect any household items or furniture we ticketed before the house goes to my oldest sister. I didn't do much other than drive, then go to the bank to sign and notarize some paperwork. My brother in law made a fantastic salmon dinner and I got to meet their newest dog Callum.
![]() |
| My Scottish maternal grandfather's first passport photo (1922) |
![]() |
| And his last passport photo (1967) |
![]() |
| My very dear maternal grandmother - she and I had a special bond. I now have those pearls to remember her. |
Saturday - I packed up a few sentimental things I wanted from the house and visited with family members as they did the same. All went well until one brother unleashed a verbal tirade on youngest sister and I decided I would not be the silent peace keeper any longer, and stood up for my sister. I am glad I did, though I'm left saddened and disappointed in my brother. I know his angry words would have broken my mother's heart.
The day was somewhat salvaged when four of us sisters went out for lunch with spouses and a nephew and we enjoyed a few adult beverages and planning future gatherings. I was supposed to stay until Sunday, but as the highly sensitive sister, I just decided to drive back to my peaceful home, at night, in snow squalls. It was preferable to staying in Mom's partially emptied and disheveled house alone.
Sunday - It usually takes me a day to recuperate from travel and emotional times, so I took it easy and just started to focus on the trip to Mexico. I've now got two days to prepare for that, and a book club meeting to attend as well.








Walking is my solace and I haven't been able to do so reliably for a while. (busy with grandsons) I used to love REO Speedwagon although I think they went a little too country for me. Or am I thinking of a different band? I like that you're organizing events that you want to do; it can be a thankless job to be the social director. So sorry about the brother's tirade--words can never be taken back and hurt feelings remain for a long time, if not forever.
ReplyDelete