The Garden: Pests and Guests
Monday
A cutworm chopped off my new salvia flower stalk the day I planted it out. Then something - I'm thinking chipmunk or squirrel - just uprooted two of my bean seedlings. Didn't eat them, just pulled them up, out of spite I guess. They were growing in the EarthBoxes which are usually safe from marauding creatures since they are not visible from the ground. Then there are the mice and voles lurking near the hot tub for nefarious reasons. The battle with the critters begins ...
There are a few rabbits in the yard that do not bother me. They nibble some of the flowers, but not too badly. Last evening I went out to put something in the shed and saw this adorable scene:
I counted at least 4 babies, but it was getting dark and I didn't want to get too close and scare them. I'm guessing a few more of my plants will be nibbled soon.
Tuesday
More mayhem in the garden. I just planted a phlox and wild geranium in a new bed yesterday, only to find them dug up and strewn about this morning. I'm looking at you, rabbits. After replanting everything, I got out my deer and rabbit repellant spray, and doused them well. In other news, there are three fewer chipmunks and one less mouse to worry about in my yard.
| My garlic scape harvest. It isn't as large as I'd hoped so there will be less pesto to pass around. |
I need to get away from the garden for a while. Annette and I have been walking each morning because we both need to get back to daily movement and the weather has moderated into clear and 70°days. I picked up two (free!) large decorative pots from the side of the road which are exactly what I've been looking for. Two of my lantana will fit into them nicely. That frees up two other large pots for my cherry tomatoes. I had six survivors from the seeds I planted, so there are my snacks sorted for the summer.
In a moment of delight, as I was sitting on the patio thinking what to do next, a tufted titmouse flew in and landed On My Hand. We checked each other out for about 30 seconds, then it flew off leaving me very enchanted. That has never happened before!
(Several Hours Later) Again, I was sitting on the patio having a water break, when I felt a quick rap/nudge on my head. I looked up to see a tufted titmouse land on the table in front of me. I don't know what kind of Wild Kingdom Vortex I stumbled into today, but I have never been so boldly approached by a bird before. Twice.
| I harvested some lavender. |
| I stopped up to Janice's house to deliver the 3 liatris plants and her garden is coming along. She bought 2 mountain laurel for planting next to the house. |
We've got some rain coming in tonight and tomorrow and my first bike ride since surgery has been postponed. Oh well, it will give me time to prepare for my sisters weekend with Theresa and Carol.
This looks ominous. Now on to make the pesto!
|
Those darned critters! We have too many rabbits around here and also slugs. My oft nibbled petunia looks OK now so perhaps the culprit has moved on. Ahem. My two sets of lantana are doing well although I'm worried that the pots will end up being too small. A few years back, the plants got HUGE. That's a gorgeous rainbow!! Rain giving us rainbows is like making lemonade out of lemons.
ReplyDeleteGoodness. We don't have creatures like that in our garden - foxes, yes, but they don't eat plants. But slugs and snails and aphids, sigh. Theoretically the birds will eat them. But in practice, not so much.
ReplyDelete