Reframing

 

This little morning ritual is worth all the milkweed picking and poop cleaning I had to do to raise 14  butterflies. Releasing a butterfly is a great way to start my day. Seven more to go!

For the past couple of months I've been on the lookout for more shelving in my kitchen closet/pantry to bring some order to my collection of kitchen supplies and food staples. Then I had an epiphany. The last time my sisters were here, we discovered a few cans of outdated and leaking tomatoes which were promptly discarded. It made me think, maybe I don't need more shelving, but better organizing and attention to what I do have. 

 I'm going to tackle a minimizing/organizing of that closet. It's funny how just reframing a problem can completely change the scenario. After that is completed, I'll revisit the idea of shelving to determine if that is what is needed or not. So far, I have two bags to donate to my local thrift shop, and quite a bit added to my trash can. 

Later - It turns out I don't need more shelving in my closet. I have plenty of room if I just have less stuff! I used to listen to The Minimalists podcast, but haven't in several years. This brings back many of the ideas that made me listen. Having less stuff means less to clean, organize, and store. It also brings a sense of calm to my space without so much clutter. I really need to embrace that concept more often.

Lake Day

A group of friends were invited up to a pond in the Adirondacks for a picnic and a swim. I borrowed a float from my neighbor and had a great day on the water. I didn't mind that it clouded up later so I didn't have to worry about too much sun exposure.

The rest of the group went out on the boat, but Sue Ellen, Jim, and I had a nice time chatting on the dock.

It was lovey to just float! I'm on the green one.

I left right around rush hour and wanted to avoid traffic on the main highway, so I took the backroads home. It took an extra twenty minutes, but the scenery was just gorgeous. Upstate NY is chock full of farms, hills, and quaint small towns.

Driving through upstate NY.

The Tomhannock Reservoir on the ride home.

I harvested another patch of 4 potato plants and got about 4 lbs of potatoes.
I accidentally mangled a couple in the little treasure hunt that is digging up potatoes.

Look what bloomed in my unusual sunflower patch! I've never seen one this
rich maroon color.

Yesterday, I drove down to the CT border for a bike ride with my sister Theresa. We found this art installation that appeared to be just a random series of mounds.

Yes, the sign encouraged interaction with the art, which was titled Inseparable!

It's land Braille!

The weather was gorgeous and we had a great 23 mile ride, then lunch at the Oakhurst, then a little thrift and antique browsing. It was a great day to visit and play with my sister.




Comments

  1. That butterfly photo made me gasp! So magical. I love that you did that. I too need to organize some (ALL) of my cupboards. There could be stuff in there that expired a decade ago. Being by or on the water is delightful; I haven't done much of that this summer. Just the Pacific but no lakes. Upper New York is gorgeous and I loved those small towns. My older daughter lived in the Hudson River Valley which was breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every summer I tell myself not to bother with the butterflies, yet somehow I end up raising some. No matter how many times I see the transformation, I am enthralled by it. I've been following a woman in Australia who tries to make her home 1% better each day. I like the idea, so I'm emulating that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Into November

Birds And Surgery