Homesteading

 

Neighbor Annette stopped by the garden and while chatting, we decided to taste my nasturtium flowers which are edible.
They were terrible and we both spit them out. I'll stick to just admiring the flowers with my eyes!

Monday - A 20 mile bike ride with the girls, followed by groceries and errands, left me exhausted and good for accomplishing little else. I did watch The Emmy's for the first time in - ever. I was mildly entertained. 

It's getting late in the season for these Monarch caterpillars - I found three in the garden.
They are going to need two weeks to change into butterflies and I hope the weather holds out for them.

Tuesday - It's apparently homesteading day. I took a bag of glassware to the Doors Of Hope thrift shop, which is my self imposed entry ticket to shopping there. I have to get rid of more than I buy. I bought 4 jars to store my tea harvest - lemon balm, tulsi, peppermint, and lavender. 

I donated crystal bowls and wine glasses I've been storing (and never using) for 20+ years.
In their place I got these utilitarian jars for a mere $3.


My first attempt at bone broth - I'm looking forward a lot of soup this winter.

I froze batches of celery, red peppers, and chopped onions and started a pot of chicken bone broth. I've been reading that the boxes and cans of broth I've been buying at the grocery store are a poor substitute for home made. Since I've been buying rotisserie chickens, I just save the carcasses in the freezer, and on a slow afternoon make a batch of real bone broth. It supposedly contains lots of collagen so I can retain my youthful skin - haha!

The result - about 3 quarts of concentrated broth for the freezer.

While the broth was simmering away, I scrubbed and painted the deck stairs which were looking quite weathered. I also texted Wayne, the contractor who installed my patio and fence, to see about taking down a large tree or two and fixing my leaning retaining wall. I read the book Die With Zero by Bill Perkins and I'm taking his advice to heart - it seems I'm willing to spend my money on just about anything right now.

The offending tree which is too close to my house and has lots of dead branches.
The crab apple tree next to the fence has started leaning over too.

Wednesday - Yay, my garbage was picked up even though it wasn't my week! It was full of chicken bones which would have stunk if I had to hold onto them for another week. 

I made an early trip to the Food Co-Op to stock up on staples. Bulk is definitely the way to go for a full pantry. I found dried blueberries which will be great in scones when I get into baking more. I'm currently still dealing with the garden harvest.

Lemon balm, sage, mint, and tulsi harvest.

So much work to do to put the garden to bed for the winter. I found two giant lemongrass plants that I forgot about, so I'll harvest and freeze those soon too - lemongrass is great in a Thai curry.

Thursday/ Friday - I detailed my older car to get it ready for sale. My friend's son is interested in it, but he's currently climbing rocks in Switzerland. In any case the car is ready when he is. My daughter doesn't want it so my plan to drive it out to LA is no more. 
Another friends trip is scheduled for November to go to the Maine shore for a few days. We'll take in the Gardens Aglow event at the Botanical Garden with lights and trolls to start of the holiday season. 
I met friends for dinner on Friday and had a squash/arugula/buratta pizza which was delicious. 

Today I mowed all of the lawns and weed whacked the edges. To complete my yard work-out I cut back a few shrubs which were blocking the front windows. In other words, I exhausted myself.  Not bad for a week at home getting things done.


Comments

  1. You are a dynamo! I love soup in the winter but am too lazy to make any. I'm not much of a cook. I did mow my back lawn (after weed whacking); I also pulled some annuals (petunias) that were on their way out. I'm ready to buy some cyclamen but the rest of my flowers are hanging on! I always assume that if something is edible that it will taste decent. Wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to cook, but sporadically and definitely not everyday. That is why I do a lot of prep work and batch cooking for all the days I don't want to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly is weed whacking? You've been very busy - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked it up and you might call it a 'strimmer', or string trimmer. I constantly fight my desire to lay around and do nothing, also known as "Il dolce far niente".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Into November

Birds And Surgery