December Week 3

 The Staircase Project 11-15-21 through 12 -20 -21

My staircase had been a project a year ago. I gel stained the bannisters and painted the rungs. I was pleased with the result, and looked forward to possibly doing the stairs. Forward 10 months later, and I was sitting in the reading room looking at the stairway I detested and figured today was as good a day as any. I peeled back the carpet from the bottom step and the treads looked to be in very good shape. So I ripped the carpet off the entire staircase. 

                         Before:



                          After:

All went well until I saw the landing. Particle board! My project just became complex!

   The offending particle board:

Several weeks of thinking, trips to the Depot and Lowe's to check out products, and lots of sanding. After my 3rd or 4th trip I found 2 mm thick, peel and stick vinyl tiling which just might work. It cost a whopping $15 so I was willing to at least try. I could always rip it out and try another product, right?


                          Primer on the particle board:

                          Trim, fit, peel, and stick:


It actually came out fairly acceptably! Now on to the staining, sanding, staining and polyurethaning.


Last steps, paint the risers and stringers white and piece in some quarter round on the landings.

Last touch, paint the closet door the same color as the entry door.  Fini!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Town Visit, There And Back Again

And Life Continues On

A Short But Sweet Visit