Renoir, Van Gogh, And Snow

 Sunday 3/19/23

In my search of ways to get out of the house, I discovered that the Stirling and Francine Clark Art Institute in Willianstown MA, is free through the end of the month. Friends AM and AJ were free to join me so we set off on a hiking/art/dinner afternoon. 

There are 140 acres with trails to explore on the grounds at the Clark, so we set off to do a reasonable 3 miles. It was to be the last of winter weather for awhile, so we were quite alone on the trails in the 28 degree, gusty and snow showery day. There were lots of downed trees and limbs, and the snow was post holed and uneven to walk on. Yet the sun would come out and warm us so it was a pleasant 2 hours in the woods.

The Stone Bench

Even the fencing is artistic surrounding the Art Institute.

After a couple of hours we went inside to enjoy both American and European masters art works. The Clarks were a wealthy couple who loved art and collected an impressive body of work. Some of the paintings that resonated with me:

Renoir

Renoir


Renoir

Who knew Sarah Bernhart, the actress, was also a sculptor? Not me. A fanciful self portrait.

Edgar Degas "The Little Dancer"

After our immersion in the art world, we were hungry and decided to drive most of the way back to my place and eat at the Town Tavern. It did not disappoint in any way.

A successful days adventuring.

An abundance of taxidermy decorates the rafters in the tavern.

Back home, almost all of the crocus survived the big snow.

Monday 3/20/23
Happy first day of spring! Right on schedule, the temperatures are forecasted to be in the 50's for the next week or so. Hopefully I can resume the bike riding challenge but on the road as some trails are still snow covered.
Success! The indoor salad garden is now keeping me in greens. At this point they are some of the most expensive greens ever, but the cost per salad goes down with each picking. The taste of the arugula is so fresh and peppery.


Tuesday 3/21/23

I got a bike ride in today because it was beautiful and sunny and 54 degrees! I just did the town loop which added another 14 miles to my total. Tomorrow I'm hiking, so I didn't want to completely exhaust myself - I have to get up at 5 am for a 6 am meet time. 

There is still quite a bit of snow on the ground, but it won't last long. Tomorrow should hit 60.

No ice and not a single water fowl. But snow up in the hills.
  
Work continues on the bathroom/upstairs, but it looks like it will drag into at least another week or two due to materials on back order or being manufactured. Sigh. I'm growing tired of staying in my daughters room and using her very small bathroom. On the other hand, I'm fortunate and grateful to have a couple back up bathrooms.

2023 Biking Challenge (1000 miles and 2+ rides per month)
Jan: 1/8 - 18 mi, 1/29 - 12 mi

Feb: 2/14 - 14 mi, 2/15 - 16 mi, 2/20 - 21 mi
 
March: 3/21 - 14 mi, 
 
Total distance: 95 mi

Comments

  1. You are doing SO well on the hiking and biking! I admire your dedication, no matter the weather. That taxidermy is quite something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I love the art. Degas went into sculpture when he went blind; I do prefer his paintings of the ballet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Into November

Birds And Surgery

California!